The participants where able to take not only their own self-made challah with them but also Nadia's famous bread-machine challah recipe and a handout about hafrashat challah (the separation of challah).
Continue reading for the full recipe...
Bread Machine Challah RecipeTools:
- bread machine
- 2 measuring cups (250ml each)
- kneading board
- ¾ cups of warm water
- 1 cube of fresh yeast or 2 bags of dry yeast
It is never a kosher problem with a fresh yeast.
- 2 eggs
Do not forget to check eggs for blood.
- ⅓ cups of white or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp of honey
- ⅓ cups of oil (sunflower is the best)
- 1½ tsp of salt
- 5 cups of flour (can be a combination of whole grain and regular).
Flour has to be checked for bugs.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water
- Add all liquid ingredients
- Add all dry ingredients
- Start the machine on the “dough” cycle
- Take dough out from the machine
- Put on the floured kneading board and form challot
- Put challot into warm oven (50°C) for 30 min to raise
(challot should double in size)
- Glaze with beaten egg
- Sprinkle on sesame or poppy seeds
- Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes (challot will be nice brown color)
- Let challot cool down on the racks
- Challot can be frozen and unfreeze as fresh within 3-4 hours.
Put challot on top of a pot on the hot plate to unfreeze on Shabbat!
- For special occasions you can add raisins to the dough.